Learn Quietly with Full Submission
A woman is to learn quietly with full submission. I do not allow a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; instead, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and transgressed. But she will be saved through childbearing, if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with good sense.
Sisters Should Learn Quietly to Be Submissive
- Every believer has a responsibility to learn the truth (Matt. 28:20).
- But one thing is necessary (Luke 10:42).
- The only effective way to learn is to have a peaceful heart and quiet surrounding.
- To learn quietly to be submissive requires an open mind and listening ears.
Sisters Should Let Brothers Teach and Exercise Authority over Men.
- I do not allow a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; instead, she is to remain quiet (12).
- A wife should not teach or have authority over her husband? But the focus of the context is church life.
- A certain special circumstance? Elusive what that special circumstance is.
- Gossiping old ladies (1 Tim. 5)? That is hardly special.
- For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and transgressed (13-14).
- D. A. Carson: transcultural reasons.
- Worship order should reflect creation order.
- Teaching: rebuking, correcting, training in righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16)
- Eve allowed herself to be deceived due to her desire to become a goddess.
- Quietly submit to God’s purpose for creating women: Eve is to be the mother of all living things.
Childbearing Is an Act of Submission Sustained by Faith, Love, and Holiness.
- Every Christian should work out one’s own salvation with fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12).
- Supporting motherhood is a key part of church life because it is a key to witnessing faith.
- Four practical aspects:
- Have faith in the dignity of human life.
- Have love for the new mothers, providing more support.
- Set the church apart from the secular culture and developing a holy concept of sex in children when they are.
- Patiently train the young ladies.
- Why is it that to learn full submission requires a quiet heart and open mind?
- Why should the church order reflect the creation order?
- Why is supporting childbearing a key to witnessing faith?
- Why do we need to patiently train the young ladies?