A Prayer of Solomon
Solomon’s prayer was an explicit reminder that:
1. The Temple was a physical reminder of God’s faithfulness.
24 You have kept your promise to your servant David my father; with your mouth you have promised and with your hand you have fulfilled it—as it is today. 25 “Now Lord, the God of Israel, keep for your servant David my father the promises you made to him when you said, ‘You shall never fail to have a successor to sit before me on the throne of Israel, if only your descendants are careful in all they do to walk before me faithfully as you have done.’ 26 And now, God of Israel, let your word that you promised your servant David my father come true.
1 King 8: 24-26 (NIV)
2. The Temple was a visual reminder of God’s presence.
29 May your eyes be open toward this temple night and day, this place of which you said, ‘My Name shall be there,’ so that you will hear the prayer your servant prays toward this place. 30 Hear the supplication of your servant and of your people Israel when they pray toward this place. Hear from heaven, your dwelling place, and when you hear, forgive.
1 King 8:29-30 (NIV)
1. Do you want God’s presence & faithfulness in your life?
2. Do you want God’s presence in our Church?
3. Solomon prayed for foreigners or outsiders. Have you been praying for outsiders to come to know Jesus?