Drive Them Away
Drive the enemies and their religions away from this land (Num. 33:51-52)
Tell the Israelites: When you cross the Jordan into the land of Canaan, you must drive out all the inhabitants of the land before you, destroy all their stone images and cast images, and demolish all their high places.
1. The history of Israel validated this principle of Moses.
- God protected the Israelites without them even knowing it (Num. 22).
- A painful lesson the Israelites learned dealing with the Moabites and the Midianites (Num. 25).
- Moses: Make no treaty with them and show them no mercy (Exod. 23:32-33;23: 32-33; Deut. 7:2)
2. The Great Commission shares the same nation building principle, but it has a different objective (John 18:36), enemies and weapons (Eph. 6:12).
- The instinct of the enemies: violence and oppression, slander, and persecution
- Their alternative strategy of Trojan horse: seduce, tempt, infiltrate,
- You are either with God or without
3. How to fight and overcome temptation?
- Humility: pray for protection and deliverance
- Wisdom: understand the reasons behind this nation building principle of Moses
Distribute the land and settle in it (Num. 33:53-54)
You are to take possession of the land and settle in it because I have given you the land to possess. You are to receive the land as an inheritance by lot according to your clans. Increase the inheritance for a large clan and decrease it for a small one. Whatever place the lot indicates for someone will be his. You will receive an inheritance according to your ancestral tribes.
- Land is freedom in an agricultural society.
- Liberty and justice: empower those who can help others (Matt. 13:12)
If you spare the enemies, God will not spare you (Num. 33:55-56)
But if you don’t drive out the inhabitants of the land before you, those you allow to remain will become barbs for your eyes and thorns for your sides; they will harass you in the land where you will live. And what I had planned to do to them, I will do to you.
- Fulfill your responsibility and do your assigned work
- Don’t become dependent on foreign slaves, depend only on Yahweh
Baptist Heritage: Priesthood of All Believers
Church members are equal, given the same freedom and responsibility. But church members and unbelievers are different as expressed through believer’s baptism.
- No denominational centralization of power: the grassroot can hold the leaders accountable.
- Local church discipline
- John Dagg: When discipline leaves the church, Christ leaves with it.
- Gregory A. Wills: When a church abandons discipline, it abandons Christ.
- Freedom in Christ: respect diversity where the Bible is silent but maintain clear distinctions where biblical teachings are clear.
- When we speak the truth with love to fight the corrosion of secularization, we are not harming unity but keeping the church hoy.