Prayer of Jabez
Who is Jabez?
How We Pray?
1. Pray for what Honors God
Examine your hearts and motives
2. Pray for His Presence more than his Presents
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,” Ephesians 1:3
“14 so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.”
3. Pray with Expectation
7 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:7-10
1. In what ways may you have bought into the false prosperity gospel? How do your prayers reflect this?
2. Examine your motives and prayers. Are you praying for what honors God more? Or what you want more?
3. In what ways do you value God’s “presents” more than his presence? Or worship his creation, more than Him, the Creator?
4. How is God’s presence the true gift and blessing from God?
5. Is there anything you are hesitant or avoiding to bring to God? How does knowing he hears and answers encourage you?
6. Challenge: Set aside time this week to spend uninterrupted time to pray to God