The Price of Discipleship
Text: Luke 14:25-33
The Cost of Discipleship
25Now great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and said to them, 26“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.
28For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? 29Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.
31Or what king, going out to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and deliberate whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace.
33So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.
1. RELINQUISH POSSESSIONS TO BUILD HIS KINGDOM Count the Cost.
• To be a true follower of God means renouncing everything
• Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and be enslaved to money.
2. Relinquish Relationships to Fight for the Lost!
• Unless we our willing to forsake our own we cannot know the cost of discipleship.
• Matthew 10:33 “But those who reject me publicly, I will reject before my Father in heaven.” – GNT
3. Relinquish Your Flesh to Embody Him!
• Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If any of you want to come with me, you must forget yourself, carry your cross, and follow me.
• Romans 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies [dedicating all of yourselves, set apart] as a living sacrifice, holy and well-pleasing to God, which is your rational (logical, intelligent) act of worship. -AMP
1. What is God calling you to do for his kingdom and his church?
2. What additional parentage of your finances can you give to the church or to sponsor a child through organizations like Compassion.com or World Vision.com?
3. What relationships in your life do you need to surrender to God?
4. What physical, mental or emotional aspect of yourself do your need to give to him?