Skip to content
The Purpose of Heavens and Earth
- Purpose (why)? Significance (so-what)?
- Not STEPS (How)?
- Finding purpose in Stories: Storyline can be seen as trajectory
- From Heavens to earth
- Earth is Living Space
- Heavens is immaterial and spiritual
- From dark, formless & empty to structured, filled, & bright
- Light gives time (3-5)
- Separating water gives space (6-9)
- Plant gives living environment (12)
- From evening to morning to day everlasting
- There was an evening and there was a morning (5,8,13,19,23,31)
- Sabbath on the seventh day (2:1-3)
- No more darkness (Isa. 60:19-20; Zech. 14:7; Rev. 22:5)
- From good to very good (3,10,12,18,21,31)
- God has a good purpose (Gen. 50:20)
- Former things will not be remembered (Isa. 65:17)
- From living environment to residents to rulers
- King & Queen: Sun & Moon
- King & Queen: Adam & Eve
- Rulers are not gods
- From servants to sons created in God’s image
- Image of God: substantive, relational, functional
- Image of God conveys Sonship (Gen. 5:3)
- Christ is the true image of God (Col. 1:15, 2Cor. 4:4, Heb.1:3)
- From work to rest
- My Father is still working, and I am working also (John 5:7) .
- Already, but not yet (Heb. 4:3,8-9)
- No more marriage after resurrection (Matt. 22:30)
- The Son among brothers (Rom.8:23)
The Common Destination of the Seven Trajectories: Sons Made Kings
- If earth refers to the planet earth and heavens refers to outer space, what does it practically mean for the command to fill the earth?
- Why is the seventh day described without evening and morning?
- If everything God made was good, why is there evil in the world?
- What does it mean to be made in the image of God?